1.02.2014

Out with the Old, In with the New

Like pretty much everyone, I'm not very good at resolutions. I try to make them broad so that I'm less likely to see them as a failure if I don't succeed. Instead of resolving to workout 5 times a week, I resolve to work out more. Instead of "lose weight," I'll resolve to feel awesome in a bikini (a bit mental and physical).

This year, I am inspired by the Happiness Project's "Word of the Year" concept. For 2014, my word is ReachI want to push myself further and harder to be a better person. I want to live and learn and even if I don't succeed I want to strike out swinging. I know I will be a better person for trying. Here are my 2014 "Reach" resolutions:

Mind

  • Read more non-fiction. I have a lot of non-fiction in my personal library, I want to tackle complete some of them.
  • Go to the library more. I finally live close to a public library, time to milk my library card for all it's worth. 
  • Complete 100% of my bar prep program. They say you only need to complete 75% to pass. I'm not taking any chances.
  • Re-kindle my love of French. I minored in French in college and have let it fall to the wayside during law school. I love the language and the culture, I don't want to lose my ability. Time to hit up the Alliance Francaise again.
  • Learn Hebrew. My boyfriend and his family speak Hebrew with each other. Enough is enough, I want to be a part of more conversations. 
Body

  • Improve my nutrition. I've been considering going vegan for a while for the health benefits, my love of animals, and the environmental benefits. However, I simply love food like cheese, the occasional burger, and seafood. I don't know that I would be completely happy by being 100% vegan. I've discovered Mark Bittman's VB6 (Vegan Before 6pm) and want to give it a full-fledged try. 
  • Cook more. I love cooking. I'm lazy. Love should always conquer. My boyfriend is of Jewish-Iraqi descent and I've fallen in love with that food. I'm determined to learn some recipes.
  • Eat out less. Eating out is one my greatest pleasures. But I do it so often that I think I've grown to appreciate it less. I can get my social fill with friends with potlucks and since I'll be cooking more, my culinary horizons will expand beyond 3 ingredient meals. 
  • Re-give up fast food. I had given it up about 4 years ago but this year had it a handful of times this year. Back to abstinence.  
  • Do yoga more. Whether of not I want to admit it, my life is stressful. The feeling I get after yoga is pure bliss. I have 60 minutes to myself with no distracting thoughts and release the tension I hold in my body. Worth it every time.   
  • Complete a fitness challenge. I recently bought a few Jillian Michael's DVDs and have subscribed to Tone it Up. Most of the challenges last only a few weeks. I want to buckle down and do them.
  • Run a 5K. This has been on my list for a few years. I have never been a runner and may never be one. I want to conquer it for myself to prove that I can do it. 
  • Drink less spirits and more red wine. 

Soul 
  • Successfully become financially independent. Apron strings are being cut, time to put on the big girl pants, make a budget, and do my parents proud.
  • Save more money. There are some big purchases I'd like to make over the next few years (car, vacations, home), I can, and need, to start saving now.
  • Blog more. This space makes me happy and that's enough reason for me. 
  • Write more letters. I already write thank you notes and holiday cards. This year I'm adding "just because" to that list.
  • Explore Nature. I've been a city rat the past few years. There are wonderful trails, mountains, and rivers nearby. Get dirty and explore them.
  • Volunteer. I am ashamed to say that I haven't done enough of it. I want to find an organization that I can commit to for a certain number of hours per week/month. 
  • Get a dog. I miss coming home to a dog. The sacrifices will be worth it. 
  • Grow a Garden. Herb garden, succulent garden, flower garden, vegetable garden. I don't care, I need some green in my life.
  • Coupon! Ok a little silly, but they are out there and I should use them!
xo
KEEP UP WITH THE ESQUIRETTE ON: 

No comments:

Post a Comment