1.05.2013

What to Wear: Volunteering

For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi 

I have been active in volunteering and fundraising in one way or another for as long as I can remember. From joining charity walks, cleaning up an impoverished neighborhood, preparing meals for the homeless, to pulling a Boeing 747, I have found giving back to my community the most fulfilling way to spend time. I love that the legal field has built in systems to encourage volunteerism through pro bono projects and firm-sponsored charities. 

Looking back, I haven't always been the most appropriately dressed to these events. I have erred to far on the side of stylish and was not dressed down enough to comfortably do the task at hand. Unfortunately, I have also sported clothing far too relaxed for the event and looked like I rolled out of bed. Flats, pajama pants, and statement jewelry really have no place at a volunteering event. The key is to be comfortable, yet presentable, especially if you are volunteering with coworkers. I picked the pieces below because they are all functional and classy. If you are working outside you should be prepared with a weather and wind-proof jacket, sunglasses, and appropriate layers. I love the grey top because it dips down at the bottom, which provides extra tush coverage if you are squatting down or bending over. At $7, it also won't matter if you get paint, dirt, or food on it. 


Left
Barbour Gore-Tex International Jacket $425
J.Crew Corduroy in Cabernet $79.99

Center
Ray Ban 901 Original Wayfarer Sunglasses $150
Design House Stockholm "Pleece" Infinity Scarf via Nordstrom $70
Converse All star Dainty via Zappos $50

Right
Mossimo Supply Co. Long Sleeve Scoop Neck Tee in Heather Grey via Target $7
Gap 1969 Legging Jeans in Santa Cruz Blue $69.95

No comments:

Post a Comment