1.15.2013

A Reaction to Skewed Portrayals of Women in Online Dating Profiles


Yesterday, I read an interesting article by the Wall Street Journal about a woman who "figured out" the secrets to success of online dating. Certain tips such as having a picture and sounding like a human, instead of a robot, were far from groundbreaking. However, I found the author's suggestion to avoid expressing professional success appalling. The author stated:
"Don't mention work, especially if your job is difficult to explain. You may have the most amazing career on the planet, but it can inadvertently intimidate someone looking at your profile. I realize this sounds horribly regressive, but during my experiment I found that women were attracted to men with high-profile careers, while the majority of men were turned off by powerful women."
Seriously?! Well send me to the nunnery because it seems like going to law school may be the Achilles heel to my "happily ever after." While the author acknowledged that her suggestion was regressive, her tip further perpetuates the chauvinistic and sexist stereotypes which she condemns. Instead, I propose that women should flaunt their professional and academic accomplishments. If men see that this is the REAL modern woman, they might just put on their big boy pants and come to terms with it. In my opinion, the thought of dating a man who feels so threatened by my accomplishments to the point that he would rather pretend they don't exist and read about my ability to make him a sandwich or how my friends would describe me as "outgoing and social world traveler, who's equally comfortable in blue jeans and little black dresses", as the author suggested, is repulsive. 

In my own online dating experience, EVERY man (boy?) who contacted me selected in his profile quiz that men should be the head of the household, as opposed to having a division and sharing of powers. This isn't the 1950s. One would think that by now the of Betty Draper/Susie Homemaker standard of womanhood has faded in memory, but time and time again we learn how it hasn't. I supposed that's attributed to the brief 36 hours my dating profile existed. 

 image via iStockPhoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment