12.25.2012

The Essentials: Power Red Lip

It can feel like there are very few office appropriate outfit choices that allow us to flaunt our personality and femininity. Thankfully, red lips are so ingrained in American culture that they are now a classic. If you're unsure whether or not you could pull it off at your office, look to the older or more senior women you work with. If they are sporting it, the coast is clear. Now, I wouldn't break out your boldest lip during a job interview because there is too big of a risk that some lipstick would get on your teeth and you want the interviewer focused on what's coming out of your mouth, not what's on it! On any other "power" day when you want to say, "I am woman! Hear my roar!," I say: Go for it! 

Make sure you pick a shade that is right for your skin. Ladies with fair skin should err more on the orange side, olive skinned girls should use colors with a gold undertone, and darker skinned girls should use cooler colors. Rather than using lipliner, which can look dated, use a little concealer around the border of your mouth to prevent the pigment from bleeding.

1. Revlon Matte Lipstick in Really Red via Drugstore.com $7.99
At this price, this is the red lipstick to try if you aren't ready to splurge. I love Revlon colors because they last all day but don't dry my lips out like other long lasting lipsticks. 

2. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in Mightiest Maraschino via Sephora $16
If there is one lipstick that I use year round in every color I can get my hands on, it is the Clinique Chubby Stick. It leaves a rich color without being too bold. Thanks to shea butter, it also is very moisturizing, which I find to be a rarity in lipsticks with pigment. 

3. Too Faced La Creme in Stiletto Red via Sephora $21.00
This color is a little cooler than the others and would look great on girls with a darker complexion. It's application is super creamy, which let's face it, is the best kind of application! 

4. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita via Sephora $24
I use this pencil to color my whole lip. It's thick and creamy and gives a great matte finish. I like using this one when I know I'm going to be drinking because it doesn't leave any residue behind on the glass.

5. Fresh Sugar Tinted Treatment in Rose via Blue Mercury $22.50
This is my go-to choice for winter because it is extremely moisturizing. It also has SPF which is never a bad thing in my opinion! This color is more sheer than the others and is great for everyday use, interviews, or any other time where you want a subtle red lip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment